Traffic Rules

Documents required for driving in Italy.

The licenses issued by any State belonging to the European Union are valid within the whole EU territory, therefore also in Italy.

If you have a driver’s license issued by a non-EU country you need an international driving permit or a sworn translation of your driving license.

To be able to drive in Italy you must be 18 years of age. You drive with your right hand and overtake on the left. According to the new highway code, in force since 01/07/03, it is mandatory, for all motor vehicles, to turn on the low beam lights, the position lights and the number plate lights, in any suburban road and on the motorway. In the city, however, we have the right to choose whether to keep them lit or not. The obligation to turn on the lights is also valid in the city for all two-wheeled vehicles (mopeds and motorcycles).

The horn should not be used in residential areas, except for emergencies. Trams and trains take precedence. The use of front and rear seat belts (if the car is provided), is mandatory and penalties can be applied to both the driver and passengers. On the roads with two or more lanes of roadway, the right lane will be occupied; the lane or the left lanes are reserved for overtaking. When you arrive at an intersection, you must give precedence to cars coming from the right, unless otherwise indicated.

Motorcycles that do not exceed 150 displacement can not travel on motorways under any circumstances. The helmet is strictly mandatory for those driving mopeds and motorcycles of each displacement.

What are the speed limits?

  • Cars and Motorbikes (over 150 cc of power)
    Urban areas 50 km / h (31 mph); secondary suburban roads 90 km / h (56 mph); main extraurban roads 110 km / h (68 mph); motorways 130 km / h (81 mph). In the event of rain or snow, the limit drops to 110 km / h on the motorway and 90 km / h on the main extra-urban roads. Furthermore, in order to enforce speed limits, numerous electronic controls with speed cameras have been installed, which are present along the entire Italian road and motorway network.
  • Cars with trailers or caravans
    In urban areas, the maximum speed is 50 km / h (31 mph); on secondary suburban roads of 70 km / h (44 mph); on the main extraurban roads of 70 km / h (44 mph); on the motorways of 80 km / h (50 mph).
  • Motor homes of more than 3.5 tonnes, but less than 12 tonnes
    Urban areas 50 km / h (31 mph); secondary suburban roads 80 km / h (50 mph); main extraurban roads 80 km / h (50 mph); motorways 100 km / h (62 mph).
  • Mandatory equipment on the vehicle
    Warning triangle; spare rubber; first aid kit (recommended); fire extinguisher (recommended).
    It is necessary to have on the vehicle safety vests or reflective shoulder straps that must be worn by drivers of vehicles stationary on the roadway, out of the inhabited areas, at night or in conditions of poor visibility. It is also mandatory to wear them when you go to fix the triangle after a breakdown or if you leave the car stationary on the emergency lane.
  • Insurance
    It is mandatory to have a liability insurance. For those coming from abroad, the green card is recommended: an insurance that can be stipulated also at the border, valid for 15, 30, or 45 days.
  • Alcohol and driving
    In Italy, the blood alcohol limit for driving is 0.5 grams per liter, on average with that expected in the rest of Europe.

Useful links:
Road code:

Dove mangiare

Dove dormire

Attività e servizi

Cosa vedere


Where to eat

Where to sleep

Activities and Services

What to see