This section summarizes the legislation that regulates the import / export of goods and currency to and from the European Union for community and non-EU tourists.

Travel within the European Union

There are no quantitative limits for what you buy or take with you within the EU. for personal use.
Exceptions: For certain categories of products, maximum quantitative thresholds are set:

  • Tobacco: 800 cigarettes or 400 cigarillos or 200 cigars or 1 kg. of smoking tobacco.
  • Alcoholic beverages: 10 liters of alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of more than 22%, 20 liters of alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of less than 22%, 90 liters of wine (of which 60 liters, maximum of sparkling wine) and 110 liters of beer.

Travel to / from non-EU countries

Starting December 1, 2008, community travelers from countries that are not part of the EU. they can carry with them personal baggage and exempt of customs duties purchases up to a value of 300.00 euros per traveler. This amount has increased to 430.00 in the case of air travelers and travelers by sea. This is provided that these are imports that are not commercial in nature.These values are reduced to € 150.00 for children under 15 regardless of the vehicle used.

Quantitative limits for travelers:

  • Tobacco: 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 gr. of smoking tobacco (for cigarettes we mean cigar with a maximum weight of 3 grams per piece).
  • Alcohol: 1 liter of alcohol or spiritic beverages of an alcoholic strength by volume of more than 22% or undenatured ethyl alcohol of an alcoholic strength by volume of 80% or more or 2 liters of alcohol and spirits of an alcoholic strength by volume of not more than 22% .
  • Other alcoholic beverages: 4 liters of wine and 16 liters of beer.


For the export there is no limit of value in relation to purchases.However, restrictions may be laid down by the countries of destination, so it is advisable to contact the relevant embassies before departure. For more information on animals, protected species, weapons, cultural assets and medicines, refer to the traveler’s CustomsCard.

Purchases in Italy by Extra-EU tourists

Travelers resident or domiciled outside the European Union can obtain the remission or refund of the VAT included in the sale price of the goods purchased in Italy.

To obtain the benefit of the remission or reimbursement of the VAT included in the sale price of the purchased goods, the goods must always be exhibited at the Customs Office, which is never obliged to reimburse the tax.

Trade of Goods

For works that are less than 50 years old or a living artist, the tourist must present a self-certification in the Export Office stating that the work is less than fifty years old or is a living author. This self-certification must be accompanied by two photos of the property and a photocopy of the identity document of the declarant. For all works of more than 50 years, the tourist must present the work of art purchased in Italy at the Export Office for the request of the certificate of free circulation, in the event that it has not been issued by the seller. The certificate issuing time varies from a minimum of 15 days to a maximum of 40 days. It is good to know that the certificate is not a deed and therefore could also be denied if the Export Office considers the export of the good as damage to the national heritage.

Currency Transfers

The transport of cash and negotiable instruments to and from the territory of the State is free up to a total amount of less than 10,000.00 euros. For amounts equal to or higher than these amounts, a specific declaration must be presented to the Customs Agency. The declaration, drawn up on a specific model that can be downloaded from the website of the Customs Agency, must be presented upon entry or exit from the national territory.

Dove mangiare

Dove dormire

Attività e servizi

Cosa vedere


Where to eat

Where to sleep

Activities and Services

What to see